Thursday, November 17, 2005

Interesting things I've seen on the train

Here in Hong Kong, our underground rail system is called the MTR, which stands for Mass Transit Railway (not to be confused with Singapore's MRT). Occasionally I will see something on the train that makes me think, "I wish I had my camera with me".

I was on my way to work when this pretty young lady boarded. I stood there with my book in hand (I'm always reading or writing on the train) and glancing at her now and then. And whatever pleasant thoughts going through my head suddenly vanished as she stuck her finger up her nose and started digging!

Whenever possible, I stand at the very end of the train, be it front or back. There I was with my Reader's Digest(R) in hand when Mr. Macho strode on and leaned against the opposite door. Tight jeans, black singlet, sneakers, and shades. He was muscular and trim, so his attire was appropriate. I paid him no further attention and returned to my book. A few stops later, he got ready to alight, and ... what have we here? A small Hello Kitty dangling from his belt loop at the back. I hope it was something his girlfriend sneaked on and not something he likes to decorate his macho self with.

People in Hong Kong have this thing about rushing. The train will sound a warning in the form of beeps before the doors close, indicating that passengers should stand back from the doors. Those not already aboard take this as a signal to sprint across the platform to try and slip betwen the closing doors. If it weren't so dangerous, it would be comical. On one occasion when the train was packed, this idiot came charging down the escalator and raced for the nearest open door - one that I was near. There were two men standing right by the door and they both held up their hands to keep the idiot from crashing into them. The result was that he slid right past and only just managed to avoid smacking into the side of the train. After all that rushing, he had to wait for the next train anyway. BTW, trains arrive once every 90 seconds during peak periods.

The train seats are metal benches designed for six people to sit on. I had the misfortune to be seated next to a punk who thought it would be funny to lay down across the entire length. My temper being what it was in those days, I was ready to grab him by the collar and throw him off the train if he touched me. Turns out I didn't need to do anything of the sort because a policeman came on board, took one look at the non-Chinese character splayed across the seat and asked in perfect English, "Are you alright?" Before the fool could answer, the officer grabbed him by the scruf of his shirt and dragged him off the train.

I should mention that Hong Kong's population is mostly Chinese, with Cantonese being the main language. To hear the officer's excellent English was music to my ears.

No comments: