Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A restaurant anecdote

One of these days, I might just put all these blog posts together into a book and see if it will sell.  For now, though, let me share with you something that happened at a restaurant a few years ago.

My friend and I entered the restaurant and were seated at precisely 7pm. How do I know it was precisely so? Because my watch beeped just as we sat down and I glanced at it.

We decided to order from the dinner sets, so we waited for a waitress. Finally, one came to take our order.  Our cutlery came, and we waited.  Being a set dinner, you'd expect the soup to arrive a few seconds later, but this was not the case.

In the meantime, a family of four showed up and sat at the table next to ours. They ordered and waited.  A couple of minutes later, their food arrived.  They had no water, no cutlery, no small plates, but their food was on the table.

We had the cutlery, having arrived first, but they had the food.

After waiting for fifteen minutes, I asked our waitress why our order was taking so long. She went away, and then came back and asked us to repeat our order, which we did.

Half past seven rolled around, family of four had finished their meal and was getting ready to leave. We still hadn't had our soup.  So this time, I asked for the manager.  It seems our order had fallen onto the floor and was overlooked.  Except that we had placed our order twice, so where did the second order go to?

A couple came in and sat at the table that had previously held the family of four.  They ordered, ate and left.  My watch beeped 8pm.

Okay. I'd been patient enough, but we still hadn't even had our soup, so I said to my friend, "Let's go".

We got up and walked to the door. Our waitress came running over to hold the door open for us and said she hoped we had enjoyed our meal!

I looked around and no one seemed to notice that we'd gotten up and were walking out without paying for a meal that we never received.

Needless to say, we never went back to that restaurant.

No comments: